Making a difference to landfill one nappy at a time
In the past five years, the reusable nappy scene has exploded. This is great for the planet to reduce disposables being sent to landfill, great for reducing the toxin load that babies are exposed to and of course, making it much easier for Mumma's who wish to venture down this path. We are now so spoilt for choice, new materials, fits and designs, that the whole topic can be overwhelming.
With my first baby, we were renting a house in Auckland that didn't even have a laundry, so needless to say, trying to wrangle reusables were not high on my priority list! You have to pick your battles, right?!
I wanted to do things differently this time, so I reached out on Instagram for some top tips and thought I would share the feedback I received with you all, which by all means is not an exhaustive one, I am sure!
Top tips to get started with modern cloth nappies
1. Use a silicone brush to scrape off wet poop or a nappy sprayer attached to the cistern to spray solids straight into the toilet before dry pailing. You can find nappy sprayers over at Nappy Needz, or google the term 'bidet sprayer'.
2. Pre-washing your new nappies is essential for absorbency, and it also gets rid of any manufacturing residues.
3. Check out the Clean Cloth Nappies group on Facebook and their website for all info/advice, including washing tips and routines.
4. If you are going to the trouble of using cloth nappies, you may as well use reusable cloth wipes and throw them in with your nappy load. Another step to reduce waste is a win in my book!
5. Yes! You can still use nappy/barrier creams with reusable nappies. You can use our Booty Balm without a disposable liner if you use a hot wash with a good detergent (as per Clean Cloth Nappies washing advice).
6. Try a few brands for fit. Our local favourites (that I have also managed to snaggle a discount for you for - you are welcome!) are listed below:
For The Burrow – use the code NUDEFREESHIP for free shipping on all orders within NZ. They also stock some of our product range.www.fortheburrow.co.nz
Chuckles – use the code THENUDEALCHEMIST for 15% off all full-priced items. They also stock some of our product range.
Fluffy Ducks – use the code NA10OFF for 10% off site-wide excluding value packs. I have personally purchased and stocked up on these ones – yet to be used, of course!
Yoho & Co - use the code NUDEALCHEMIST for 15% off storewide. They also stock some of our product range.
Behind each of these brands is a Mum that knows what she is doing! You will find care instructions on each of these suppliers websites to simplify the overwhelming amount of information available on the topic. They are more than happy to help with anything if you have any questions or issues.
7. Lastly, remember to keep it simple. It doesn't have to be hard! Do your best with it; even one a day will make a difference to landfill.